Murwillumbah Business Chamber

Northern Rivers Flood Recovery Services

If you'd like to dispute a rejected claim:

1.       The decision must be received in writing before a dispute can occur.

2.       There are only 2 grounds on which a dispute can occur;

o   I believe I have flood insurance (maybe the broker didn’t explain it properly)

o   I believe it was a storm not a flood

3.       Internal Dispute Resolution (IDR) must be entered into with the Insurance Company.

4.       If still unhappy, then the Ombudsman can be contacted, but only after IDR has occurred.

NSW Small Business Commisioner, Robyn Hobbs, would also like to hear your case so her team can prepare a case to make insurance companies reconsider their decision.


Australian Government Disaster Relief Payment

The Disaster Recovery Payment is a one-off payment to provide immediate, short-term assistance to Australian residents adversely affected by disaster. To check for eligibility, please contact the Department of Human Services.

180 22 66

Department of Human Services - Centrelink 

DHS provide Australian Government services and payments, and information on Government assistance available to people in crisis or whose circumstances have changed.

180 22 66


Disaster Welfare Services

DWS provide disaster relief grants to eligible individuals and families whose homes have been significantly damaged or destroyed. Provides assistance for those with limited financial resources and no insurance.

1800 018 444


Housing NSW

Housing NSW provides assistance with housing and accommodation for those affected by the floods.

1800 422 322

Australian Red Cross

Australian Red Cross provide personal support to those affected by the floods.

1800 812 028

NSW Mental Health

A free service has been established to help those affected by the floods and is available Mon to Fri 8am – 6pm.

In person and telephone counselling is available and no referral is needed.

1300 137 934



Lifeline is available 24 hours for people experiencing personal crisis.

13 11 14

Small Business NSW

The Business Connect program provides advice on managing your business and accessing financial assistance.


1300 134 359

Services NSW

Services NSW will replace certificates and drivers licences at no cost to those affected by the floods.

13 77 88

Legal Aid


Legal Aid can provide free legal advice and minor assistance to people affected by disasters on a range of issues including insurance, tenancy and credit and debt problems.

1300 888 529


NSW Fair Trading

Fair Trading provides assistance & advice to consumers, tenants and businesses regarding fair and ethical practice.

13 32 20

NSW Rural Assistance Authority

RAA provide disaster relief low interest loans of up to $130,000 to eligible primary producers and small businesses to eligible primary producers. They can also assist with Category C grant applications and enquiries.

1800 678 593

Insurance Council of Australia 

ICA can help policyholders with general inquiries about the insurance claims process.

1800 734 621


NSW Environment Protection Authority

The EPA provide advice regarding waste disposal and contaminated land concerns.

131 555



If you are unsure who to contact about an issue, please call your local council for assistance…


Tweed Shire Council

02 6670 2400

Lismore City Council 

1300 87 83 87

Byron Shire Council

02 6626 7000

Kyogle Shire Council

02 6632 1611

Richmond Valley Council

02 6660 0300

Ballina Shire Council

02 6686 4444


To download a copy of this page click here